Monday, March 31, 2008

Applique

I have been taking a fantastic class about Applique as it relates to quilting...or sewing, in general... I do so love the "look" of applique on a quilt or an art quilt...we are working through an applique workbook...and I have been making hearts 'almost' by the hundreds...there are 12 different processes described in the book and I've tried them all...I was quite attached to English Paper Piecing...for the overall final result...but in a random, chance reading on Mark Lipinski's Pickle Road Yahoo group...I found another and an ultimate applique *trick*...

using a fusible interfacing and placing it right sides together with the fabric...sewing around the edges and then slitting the back and pulling around to right sides...then pressing the fusible interfacing so that it fuses the edges down solidly...they are perfect edges...so easily appliqued...with no chance of raw edges popping out...I spent the greater part of today undoing the basting of my paper piecing on 40 odd hearts...and re-setting them on fusible interfacing...
I have an art quilt that I have just finished appliquing...unfortunately before I read about the technique...:(
I will just continue with the piece and experiment with art quilt finishing techniques...like ANY good quilter (even a beginner..hehehe) I bought enough fabric to do it right the next time...

K

No comments: